All Saints’ Parish is a member of the Anglican Diocese of Trinidad and Tobago in the Province of the West Indies within the world wide Anglican Communion. The Parish has two main centers of worship, the All Saints’ Anglican Church located in Newtown and the Chapel of Ease located in Maraval. In May 2016 the All Saints’ Anglican Church celebrated its 170th Anniversary.
History of the All Saints’ Anglican Church
The prettiest of all the Anglican churches
The foundation-stone of the Gothic All Saints Church in New Town, facing Queen’s Park and close to the former red tram terminus in Tranquillity was laid in 1844. The building when completed was consecrated by Bishop Parry of Barbados, as a chapel-of-ease for Trinity Cathedral. Some 40 years later, it was enlarged and restored by the exertions of the Rev. L. A. Taitt, and, at the time, was reported to be the prettiest of all the Anglican churches.
In the year 1845 and a parcel comprising two lots, part of 20 acres of
to the Anglican Church. The year before, the Governor sent to the
Colonial Office a draft for the introduction of English Criminal Laws and
Trial by Jury and the Ecclesiastical Ordinance which was passed in the
Nominated Legislature Council, so establishing the Church of England in
Trinidad. On 10th October 1844.Ground was broken and the Foundation stone laid for All Saints Chapel of Ease, in deference to the Cathedral Church in the capital city of Port of Spain which was consecrated as a Cathedral after the reconstruction of the Anglican Church in 1818.In 1846 ALL SAINTS CHAPEL of EASE was dedicated.